To ensure that all land acquisition conducted by NaFoods is conducted in a manner consistent with the Applicable Standards that avoids, minimizes and mitigates any potential adverse impacts on the environment and communities, as a matter of Policy NaFoods commits to the following principles:
- Avoiding land acquisition which results in economic or physical displacement
- Where avoidance is not possible, minimise displacement and other adverse social impacts from land acquisition by exploring design alternatives
- Seek to minimise land transactions which involve a permanent transfer of title (ie Land Use Right Certificate) or impact upon land which is managed and utilised in a communal manner
- To ensure no forced eviction is to be conducted,
- To achieve negotiated settlements through a fair and open negotiation process, which is based on appropriate disclosure of information and consultation, good faith negotiation, and the informed participation of those involved to reach mutually acceptable agreements on compensation,
- Where holding an LURC is not essential for land security, seek MOU arrangements which allows landowners to retain full access to their land while partaking in benefit sharing agreements,
- Ensure that any livelihood impacts identified, mitigated, and monitored until affected people are demonstrated to have been able to fully restore or improve their living standards and livelihoods,
- Ensure that affected communities, especially the most vulnerable are not in any way left worse off or negatively impacted,
- Identify and consults with ethnic minority groups that meet the PS7 criteria in a culturally appropriate manner
- Avoid land that is subject to ancestral/communal attachment by an ethnic minority and if avoidance is not possible, develop and implement the Indigenous People Plan (IPP) and obtain Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) in compliance with IFC PS7,
- Avoid any development of land defined as either Natural Habitat or Critical Habitat as defined by IFC PS6 and to develop only in areas defined as modified habitats.
- Avoid any development of land related to cultural heritage (both indigenous and non-indigenous) as defined by IFC PS8, respect of relevant stakeholders and cultural heritage.